We are glad to announce the
10th EACL Summer School in Chinese Linguistics
June 6 (Monday) -9 (Thursday), 2016
University of Picardy Jules Verne at Amiens
University of Picardy Jules Verne (UPJV), France : Chinese Department of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Cultures, International Affairs Directorate and Centre d'Etudes des Relations et Contacts Linguistiques et Littéraires (CERCLL EA4283).
Local organizing committee
Georges BÊ DUC (CERCLL), Cécile MATHIEU (CERCLL), Hongyuan SUN (CERCLL)
Applications must be received the latest on March 13, 2016. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Prospective participants will be notified by March 31, 2016. The board of EACL functions as admission committee.
What are the courses to be offered?
Françoise BOTTÉRO (CRLAO, CNRS-EHESS-INALCO): Challenging received views on the Chinese writing system
Victor Junnan PAN (Université Paris Diderot, LLF): Sentence-final particles in Mandarin Chinese: from syntax to discourse
Waltraud PAUL (CRLAO, CNRS-EHESS-INALCO): Complex sentences in Mandarin Chinese and related issues
Carlotta SPARVOLI (University College Cork, SAS): Modality in Mandarin Chinese
Hongyuan SUN (Université de Picardie Jules-Verne, CERCLL): Tense and aspect in Mandarin Chinese
Invited talk by:
Catherine DOUAY (Université de Picardie Jules-Verne, CORPUS): Revisiting verb aspect in English: the case of the progressive
N.B. The participants are required to attend all courses.
Who can apply?
The EACL Summer School in Chinese Linguistics is organized for M.A. and Ph.D. students in Chinese linguistics affiliated with European universities. Applications that do not correspond to these criteria (e.g. postdocs, young scholars) may be considered if there are vacancies.
- An attendance fee of 75-100 € will be charged (pending budget approval).
- Accommodation and lunches are included in the attendance fee.
- Travel and local transportation are covered by participants.
- All participants, except for M.A. students, are required to be EACL members, or to join EACL at the time of registration. Membership fee for students is EUR 15.
When to pay the attendance fees ?
Membership fees and attendance fees are to be paid in cash at the registration for the Summer School.
(i) Good command of spoken and written Chinese and English.
(ii) Proven interest in Chinese linguistics
How to apply
Candidates should send their application in one PDF file to the following address :
The application should include the 2 parts listed below.
(I) an academic C.V. containing the following information:
1. Name and contact information (including M(ale)/F(emale) for the dorms).
2. Name of your university and department; name of your advisor / main teacher in Chinese and/or linguistics. No recommendation is required from your advisor to apply.
3. Information on your previous academic training, including the year you started your Master/PhD course ; information on your training in linguistics and in Chinese
4. Main fields of interest and the subject of your Master/PhD research.
5. List of publications and/or talks/posters at conferences, if any.
(II) A short motivation (10-15 lines) why you want to attend the summer school. (This is very important for the selection procedure).
Use the candidate's last name as filename for the PDF.